Saturday, February 26, 2011

Online lesson: Point Of View

1) Point of view of: Headmaster

Wearing a black suit, I stood on the stage. Looking down, I saw a massive mass of people. The crowd of students had their faces and eyes glowing brightly with eagerness while the weathered and strict faces of the parents gleamed proudly at their children. As the elegant music of the fade away slowly, I began my speech.

In the midst of introducing and praising the school to new parents and students, I ordered the senior students to stand up. With a loud vibration, the students rose up from their seats orderly, gazing and staring forward steadily as they gaped open their mouth, voicing out the discipline and morals of the school. Holding their lanterns steadily in their hand, I can see their pride and honour for being a part of the school.

As the thunderous applause of the parents diminished, the students unhurriedly sat down. Looking at them, I let out a pleasing sigh, “What a magnificent and splendid school!”

3) Point of view of: New Student

I felt a sense of security and warmth having my parents seated next to me and holding their huge and wrinkled hands. Nevertheless, looking at the massive yet hollow auditorium and the cold and solemn faces of the senior students, I felt like a fish out of water.

Initially, the stern yet proud mask of the principal caused my discomfort and unease. However, the next thing that caught my very eyes was those grave and serious looks of my seniors. All these left me with a very negative and pessimistic impression of this school and a prediction of my own future: a stressful and restless school life.

As the principal instructed students to stand up, I was still daydreaming and fretting over my future. However, a small nudge from my parents broke my chain of thoughts and when I glanced at the surroundings, my parents gestured me to stand up. Rising up slowly, a fear overcame me: am I going to be so confused and muddle-headed for the rest of the year?

What impact does the point of view have on a story? Type in your name on top of your comments.

First person point of view is talking from one's point of view, and it allows the reader to understand the person's feeling more vividly, because if you wrote in a third person's point of view, it would be all knowing and fair, not bias like first person's point of view. However, second person's point of view is less seen. It gives an effect to let you be in the protagonist's shoes and let you understand the story better.

No comments:

Post a Comment