Saturday, January 29, 2011

My favourite place in the neighbourhood and how does it relate to my identity


(Left side of fence: condominium

Right side of fence: grass hill)

My favourite part of my neighbourhood is the little grass hill that is located just right beside my house. It is a secluded and secretive spot and rarely would anyone go there. As you could see, it is grown full of long grass now because nobody went there for a long time already, including me.

Beside it, you could see skyscraping condominiums that mercilessly scraped away a part of the hill. When I was still small, the condominiums were not yet built there. However, a few years ago, a group of construction workers began chipping off gradually from the small patch of grass and a massive construction underwent. Initially, the hill was already small, now it was even smaller, leaving only a tiny speck of greenery.

The reason I loved this hill was because I had feelings for every single strand of grass and those senduduk flowers and of course, those colourful birds and fascinating insects. It also left many wonderful memories for my childhood because this spot was one of the most accessible places that I enjoyed the most. It was like one of the playgrounds – No; actually it was better than a playground.

Nature was all around me in my childhood and maybe it was the reason for me to love nature, and also making me aware of nature being destroyed slowly. It is the green grass that I loved, not those rigid, ugly slabs of gray cement.

No comments:

Post a Comment